Chicago Killings Double Deaths in Iraq – September 04, 2008
The ONE is needed to work his miracles back in his hometown of Chicago. South Side, where Obama was a community organizer, is a deadly zone rivaling the worst places in Iraq and Afghanistan. Many of these deaths were students. Democrats, with Obama at the helm, should call for students to come home in sixteen months.
Nearly 125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer
Total Is About Double The Death Toll In Iraq
CHICAGO (CBS) ― An estimated 123 people were shot and killed over the summer. That’s nearly double the number of soldiers killed in Iraq over the same time period.
Information from wire service reports and the Chicago Police Major Incidents log indicated that 123 people were shot and killed throughout the city between the start of Memorial Day weekend on May 26, and the end of Labor Day on Sept. 1.
According to the Defense Department, 59 soldiers were killed in combat in Iraq. About the same number were killed in Afghanistan over that same period.
In the same time period, an estimated 245 people were shot and wounded in the city.
The South Side’s Englewood District, which includes the Englewood and West Englewood neighborhoods on the city’s South Side, fared the worst over the summer. A total of 14 people were shot dead there, and 48 were shot and wounded.
The next highest totals came in the Grand Crossing District, which includes the South Shore, Woodlawn, Park Manor and Grand Crossing neighborhoods on the South Side, 12 people were killed and 31 were injured.
Also hit severely by gun violence over the summer was the Ogden District – which includes the Near Southwest Side’s Lawndale and Little Village neighborhoods – where 10 people were killed and six were injured. The South Chicago District on the Southeast Side saw nine people killed and 11 injured, almost all concentrated in the South Chicago and Avalon Park neighborhoods at the north end of the district. The West Side’s Austin District saw also saw nine people killed and 12 injured, while the Far South Side’s Calumet District – including the Roseland, Fernwood and Pullman neighborhoods – saw eight killed and 20 injured.
Breakdown of summer shootings by police district:
• District 1 – Central (Loop, West Loop, Near South Side): 1 dead, 4 injured
• District 2 – Wentworth (Washington Park, Bronzeville, Fuller Park): 1 dead, 14 injured
• District 3 – Grand Crossing (South Shore, Woodlawn, Park Manor, Grand Crossing) 12 dead, 31 injured
• District 4 – South Chicago (Far Southeast Side to Indiana state line): 9 dead, 11 injured
• District 5 – Calumet (Roseland, Fernwood, West Pullman): 8 dead, 20 injured
• District 6 – Gresham (Auburn-Gresham, Chatham): 7 dead, 13 injured
• District 7 – Englewood (Englewood, West Englewood: 14 dead, 48 injured
• District 8 – Chicago Lawn (most of the Southwest Side): 7 dead, 14 injured
• District 9 – Deering (Back of the Yards, Bridgeport, Canaryville, Brighton Park): 4 dead, 19 injured
• District 10 – Ogden (Little Village, much of North Lawndale): 10 dead, 6 injured
• District 11 – Harrison (Garfield Park, parts of North Lawndale): 8 dead, 18 injured
• District 12 – Monroe (Near West Side): 1 dead, 3 injured
• District 13 – Wood (West Town, Ukrainian Village, parts of Humboldt Park): 4 dead, 2 injured
• District 14 – Shakespeare (Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square, parts of Humboldt Park): 6 dead, 1 injured
• District 15 – Austin (North and South Austin): 9 dead, 12 injured
• District 16 – Jefferson Park (Far Northwest Side from Portage Park to O’Hare International Airport): 0 dead, 0 injured
• District 17 – Albany Park (Albany Park, Irving Park, Avondale): 2 dead, 0 injured
• District 18 – Near North (Lincoln Park, Gold Coast Magnificent Mile, Near North Side): 1 dead, 4 injured
• District 19 – Belmont (Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Square, North Center): 1 dead, 1 injured
• District 20 – Lincoln (Edgewater, Andersonville, Rosehill Cemetery, Budlong Woods): 0 dead, 1 injured
• District 21 – Prairie (Hyde Park, Kenwood Oakland-Douglas, Lake Meadows, Chinatown): 2 dead, 1 injured
• District 22 – Morgan Park (Beverly, Morgan Park, Mt. Greenwood): 6 dead, 4 injured
• District 23 – Town Hall (East Lakeview, Uptown): 1 dead, 4 injured
• District 24 – Rogers Park (East and West Rogers Park): 2 dead, 2 injured
• District 25 – Grand Central (Belmont-Cragin, Kelvyn Park, Hermosa, Galewood): 7 dead, 12 injured
Adam Harrington, cbs2chicago.com
(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
There is no more time to do nothing.